Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Blue Like Jazz

Donald Miller has a very low-key, chill style of writing that is humble and easy to follow. Sometimes it's a bit too 'chill', as tho he were trying. Tho I'm not sure I agree with everything in the book, I did find it thought provoking, and I liked the remixed narrative feel to it.

I like how he talks about being missional and relevant. Intentionally befriending those who are different from us is one of his values. He also has a very good way of describing love.

He talks about how in romantic love, we find a little bit of heaven. I like that... In that 'little bit of heaven', we learn to live for something bigger than ourselves. We think about that person all the times, taking on their joy, struggles, and pain. In a similar way, community is a little bit of heaven. Because we start living for something bigger than us. He says community and romantic love are two opposites of loneliness.

Good book... Don't agree with it, but that's half the point. I love his openness... Sometimes he's a bit individualistic, and he's always very independent. I wonder if that's god's will or not ...



7/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home